Chuck Maddox’s Watch Blog

This page is a journal of my journey in the field of Horology, which is timekeeping. In other words, watch collecting. Which in my case is the collecting of chronograph watches. To contact me, email me at: cmaddox3@sbcglobal.net .

Name:
Location: Chicagoland, United States

The Extremely wordy version of my Resumé is located here: http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/resume.html

Friday, December 10, 2004

Another possibility for David Scott's Waltham?

I received this from D. Lee Brandt a couple of weeks back. I intended to post this and am only now circling back around to do so. I will be presenting this in a conversational format even though our communication occured via email...
From: "D. Lee Brandt"
Subject: Which Movements Were Worn on the Moon Article
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:13:29 -0600

Chuck,

Ref which watch Dave Scott might have worn on the moon I have another plausible candidate.

Hi Lee...

Thanks for the pictures!

The watch you show

(This one is a piece from my collection)

does not have a tachymeter bezel.

This one is from a seller's picture and I am assuming is from a publication of some sort.

The Waltham model in the pix I have attached DID, and is therefore closer in function.

My example most definately does not have a Tachy Bezel, however it appears possible that the second picture might have one. But for the moment lets assume it does not.

However the layout of the Waltham you sent pictures of is vastly different from the Moonwatch. Yes it has the tachy bezel which is pretty worthless except for calculating piece-work outside of a mile or kilo marked highways, and would have little use in space.

I guess the real test of the pudding is whether this watch was available circa 1971. Considering the retro design, it wouldn't surprise me.

http://www.ozdoba.net/swisswatch/autochrono.html

From which I quote:

1974 saw another interesting addition to the world of automatic chronographs:

Kelek presented their caliber D.B.K. 1369. With a diameter of only 11 lines (24.81 mm) and a height of 7.6 mm, this 21-jewel movement held the record as the smallest automatic chronograph for a very long time.

The rather uncommon positions of the date indication and the 30-minute- and 6-hour-recorders were a "trademark" of this caliber; another watch from this era which was made by Minerva also used the Dubois-Dépraz TDBK 1369 and had the same layout of the dial as the Kelek watch. Remember that there was - and is - a very close cooperation between Kelek and Dubois-Dépraz; D-D produces some movements exclusively for Kelek, others are also available to other companies.)

I believe this Waltham is based on the Kelek movement because of the subdial positioning. Since it wasn't available until 1974 it's not a likely candidate for use by Mr. Scott.

But if you don't mind I'd love to include the pictures with attributation if you'd grant permission.

You're more than welcome to use the pix. I can't speak to whether the watch in question has a Kelek movement, but Dave Scott says called his Waltham a "watch of a similar type", and the tachymeter bezel, although as useless at 17,500 mph as teets on a bull, seems to me more of a "similar type"

Focusing on the Tachy Bezel and ignoring the other major differences between dial layout, automatic movement and date doesn't seem "more similar" to me. But you are entitled to hold your opinion.

irregardless of the positioning of the subdials.  Maybe I'm just in denial, but the watch you suggest is just too damn ugly to deserve a place of honor next to the Speedmaster.

I didn't buy it [as a backup watch] and it isn't a beauty context either (look at the LEM). The Waltham I've discussed is the closest I've found in form, function and appearance to the Moonwatch which Mr. Scott has stated was of a similar type as the NASA issued piece.

Has anyone thought of just asking Dave Scott? It's not like he's dead. My father was in the space program, and I still have Alan Bean's addy. I could probably get him to forward a missive to DS. However, the Astronaut Office in Houston routinely fields mail for the astronauts (PR is one of their responsibilities) &endash; I've got their addy somewhere too. The only caveat is that the wording should be such that 1) he understands that we are not affiliated with any watch manufacturer and have no ulterior pecuniary motives, and 2) we're just watch aficionados that want to set the record straight.

I'm not in the habit of pestering Astronauts, but the thought has crossed my mind. Feel free to contact Mr. Scott if you'd like. Please CC (and ask him to CC me) if you do.

:^) Lee

Lee sent off via USnail a letter to Mr. Scott, but hasn't received a reply thus far to my knowledge.


Personally, I believe the movement that is in the Waltham that Lee provided pictures of came on the market too late for Mr. Scott to have purchased the watch prior to the Apollo 15 flight (which would have been in 1971. I also don't think that a lack of a Tachymeter (if the model Mr. Scott did purchase) would have disuaded Mr. Scott away from the Waltham. But these are simply my thoughts. I hope that Lee will receive a reply from Mr. Scott or the Astronaut/PR office and we can nail down this part of the story.

-- C


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, maybe my eyes are deceiving me here, but isn't the dial on Lee's watch signed Walthan and not Waltham?

Sunday, March 13, 2005 5:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home