Chuck Maddox’s Watch Blog

This page is a journal of my journey in the field of Horology, which is timekeeping. In other words, watch collecting. Which in my case is the collecting of chronograph watches. To contact me, email me at: cmaddox3@sbcglobal.net .

Name:
Location: Chicagoland, United States

The Extremely wordy version of my Resumé is located here: http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/resume.html

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Administradia: Scheduling thoughts...

Howdy. Just a note for future reference. Typically Tuesday is my best day of the week to do pictures and scans. So if anyone needs/wants pictures or scanning of stuff I have on hand... the closer to a Monday night deadline for a request, the closer it will be to the top of my stack for attention on Tuesday.

On a related note... I endured a rather severe Kidney Stone attack yesterday and going into the evening. I was feeling "ok" in the morning... not great but ok... was chatting with Frank N. from about 1 to 3:30pm and I started feeling pretty lousy. By 5 and 6 o'clock I was within about a minute or two of saying "I simply can't take any more of this" and starting to head to the hospital about a dozen times. This continued until about 7:45pm when I managed to pass out and I woke up about 2:30am feeling about 90% better. I'm still feeling about the same, a little worn and weary from yesterday and last night, but so much better than then.

In case you were wondering... All kidneys produce stones, there are basically two type, one which are like very tiny smooth pebbles which usually are benign and pass from the body with no noticable effects... The second type look very crystaline, not unlike a 3-D snowflake or a Jack (think caltrop) from the old child's game...


But even these "Edgy" stones don't typically cause problems until they start to move, and boy when they start to move! I've heard that Kidney Stones are the closest pain a man can experience to what a woman feels when giving birth. I've had migrane's, toothaches, etc. that were unbearable, but at least I could move around to a position where I was only miserable. Last night the only way I could bear the pain was to distract myself from the pain by moving around.

My father had had numerous kidney stone attacks while he was alive, there is a heretity component to getting them as are certain foods and drinks, which I try to moderate on as much as possible. I myself have had attacks from the time I was a teenager, but I hadn't had an attack in a good 8 to 10 years and I had forgotten how bad they can be.


Damn thing certainly felt like the crystalline entity from Star Trek: The Next Generation!

Anyway... This is just sort of a note to let you know that between me being a bit under the weather and with the holidays coming up I might be posting a little less frequently here for a while.

and I'm ok, I'm doing much better today.

-- C

1 Comments:

Blogger Speedmaster said...

Chuck,

Very sorry to hear that. I've had two kidney stones in the past, about 2 years apart.

Both times I ended up in the emergency room with an IV of Demerol. I was in BAD pain. :-(

The first time I didn't feel the stone when it passed. The second time the stone did a fair amount of damage on the way out, if you know what I mean.


Hope you feel better,

Chris

Tuesday, December 14, 2004 4:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home